If you are a dental student preparing to graduate, now may be the best time to consider purchasing an individual disability policy.
Here are some reasons to consider purchasing your policy prior to graduation:
1) Dental students may purchase up to $2500/month benefit regardless of income (or lack thereof).
2) If you are in school that has a discount available, you may be able to lock in the discounted rates. Make sure your discounts apply to future increases. Some discounts only apply to the base policy whereas some discounts apply to future adjustments. It is important to make that distinction.
3) If you are moving to a more expensive or restrictive state such as California, it would make sense to purchase your policy prior to your move.
Dental students should look for the following provisions in their disability insurance policies:
1) Own occupation definition of disability. Companies may have different names for the definition but it is important that your policy covers you if you can’t work as a dentist even if you can work in another occupation or dental specialty.
2) Non cancelable, guaranteed renewable. This means that once you have your policy, the company can never cancel your coverage or increase your premiums.
3) The ability to increase your policy in the future without further medical underwriting. This protects your insurability. Some policies will allow you to increase your policy once you have established your new income with a copy of your new contract.